Kasutera or Castella (カステラ) is Japanese-style sponge cake. Sponge cake is very popular in many Asian countries, Kasutera is completely oil-free! When I made it, I was so surprised that the recipe didn’t call for any oil or butter and it still tasted amazing! It’s very light and fluffy with a tint of sweetness.
it tastes so delicous!! It’s one of the only things that tastes good and isn’t bad for you.
♡1 1/2 cup (200g) bread flour
♡1/3 cup (80g) honey
♡1/4 cup (60g) fat-free milk
♡1 cup (240g) sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 175 degrees C.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, while gradually adding sugar. Mix the eggs until they are very very foamy. The foamier, the fluffier it will come out later! I mixed them for about 15 minutes.
3. Add the milk and honey to a bowl and heat. A microwave is fine. After they are warm mix them together. It is ok if there are a few honey clumps in it.
4. Gradually add the milk and honey mixture into the eggs while mixing. Mix for about 2 minutes.
5. Slowly add the bread flour into the electric mixer while beating. Mix for another 2-3 minutes.
6. Use parchment paper to line a 9×9 pan and pour the mix into it.
7. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
8. Once the cake is done, immediately drop the cake onto a flat surface from about 4 inches high. This will release air from the cake and keep it fluffy.
9. Allow the cake to cool and then enjoy!
Hope you like the recipe! Thanks for reading!